When we set about producing PEpods, the idea was to create a different and student-friendly revision resource for A Level and GCSE PE students. PEpods have become so much more than that!
From the start, we were committed to producing Exam Board specific products. We had to be certain that we gave each student exactly what they needed in terms of content and relevance. We were and remain committed to producing resources that are 100% reliable, authentic and valuable, so that busy, enthusiastic and dedicated teachers can depend on us to help ensure that their students are properly supported on their learning journey.
We were delighted when our applications to OCR and Edexcel for official endorsement / approved publication status were successful.
Official exam board approval confirms that a product:
- is of high quality
- fully covers the necessary teaching and learning content
- has an appropriate balance between the development of subject skills, knowledge and understanding and preparation for assessment
While AQA do not have a system for us to apply for official endorsement, our AQA AS PEpods are on the recommended resource list, and we’re delighted that feedback from customers who have purchased them is 100% positive. Here’s just a few examples from a head teacher, a Vice Principal, a Director of Sport and an NQT:Teachers tell us that they use PEpods regularly throughout course delivery, not just for student revision at the end of the course. PEpods are widely used:
- by students for review at home after a lesson
- for students to catch up on lessons that they unavoidably missed
- for students to listen to if their teacher is unavoidably absent
- for ‘flipped classroom’ work. So, to preview work outside of the classroom, thus paving the way for interactive student centred lessons where knowledge is used and applied rather than delivered. Thus morphing us teachers from the traditional ‘Sage on the Stage’ to the arguable more valuable ‘Guide on the Side’.
- NQTs and teachers new to teaching certain elements of courses use PEpods to embed their own knowledge before planning and implementing their lessons in the classroom.
- PEpods are successfully being used by lecturers in some Higher Education institutions to demonstrate clarity of delivery, fine tuning of course content and how to prepare sessions that are logical, focused and ‘to the point’.
- Parents occasionally invest in the PEpods for youngsters; perhaps those who travel extensively for sport (to listen to in the car or while waiting to perform).
The possibilities for constructive and valuable use are many and varied – certainly greater than we anticipated when we started the PEpod journey. Back then, we wanted to embrace the use of mobile technology for our young ‘digital native’ learners, even though some of us are ‘digital immigrant’ teachers – challenged to keep up with constant innovation.
PEpods were designed to supplement the excellent work that already exists in schools and colleges. We now know that they are exceeding our initial expectation. Probably due at least in part to their quality – linked to relevance, clear focus, varied features that grab learners’ attention and keep them engaged, the audio bullet points, suitable specially composed music and crucial, regular exam tips! We hope you enjoy using them.
About The Author
Sarah van Wely is co-author of various student texts, teacher files and revision guides. She is fully involved in the examination process with one of the leading examination boards and specialises in the socio-cultural aspects of A level PE.
Having taught the course for many years she is a freelance educational consultant writing and delivering teacher workshops and student revision and study days with great enthusiasm. Her company, PEfocus, aims to support teachers with courses and resources for the effective delivery of GCSE and A Level Physical Education.