Major Government funding announcement & commitment to PE and school sport
The Government announced on International Women’s Day that they are setting out new standards for equal access to sports, making it clear that girls and boys should be offered the same sports during PE and extracurricular time in schools.
The full package being announced today includes:
- Over £600 million across the next two academic years (2023-24 & 2024-25) for the continuation of the Primary PE and Sport Premium – a funding commitment to improve the quality of PE and sports in primary schools to help children benefit from regular activity
- Schools to deliver a minimum 2 hours of curriculum PE – with more support being offered through a refreshed School Sport Action Plan
- £22 million for two years of further funding for the School Games Organiser network (SGO) – Annually the 450 strong SGO workforce supports 2.2m participation opportunities for children including 28,000 competitive school sport events
- Equal access to sports in school – setting out that offering girls and boys the same sports, where it is wanted is the new standard
- Up to £57 million funding for the ‘Open Sports Facilities’ programme – to open up more school sport facilities outside of school hours especially targeted at girls, disadvantaged pupils and pupils with special educational needs
- A new digital reporting tool for Primary PE and Sport Premium – to support schools in using the funding to the best advantage of their pupils
- Expansion of the Schools Games Mark – to reward parity of provision for girls
To help PE leads we have produced the following draft letter for you to amend and send to your headteacher to help maximise the opportunities that this announcement brings.
Other useful links regarding this announcement and related topics are as follows:
Many thanks for this – really helpful. I could open the hyper-links in the letter. Is that just me?