A progressive skill based curriculum for ages 7-9 that can be easily incorporated for KS3 groups dependant on capabilities.
The skill-based football curriculum is taught through a series of developmental practices that isolate the particular theme/skill for that session. The measure of success becomes how well the skill is performed in a realistic game situation. This approach provides every coach and player with a definite ‘GOAL’ for each session. Players not reaching their goal should NOT be labeled as failures. It is our belief that rather than dismiss players as failures, the coach uses the information gained as a source of reference to develop future practices. Coaches should note that players aged 7 and up will mostly enjoy the more skill based or ‘GOAL’ driven approach.
The skills taught are as follows:
- Week One – Breaking Pressure
- Week Two – Applying Pressure – forcing turnovers
- Week Three – Forward foot passing
- Week Four – Performing a give and go (Wall pass)
- Week Five – Turning an Opponent
- Week Six – Possessing the ball
- Week Seven – Making an Overlap
- Week Eight – Creating space and shooting