KS3 (Year 7-9) Michael Jackson Dance Unit of Work. Inspire pupils to dance like Michael Jackson – the greatest dancer of all time!
Intended Unit Outcomes
- To gain an understanding of 80’s/90’s Rock, Pop, RnB, Funk, Disco and Hip Hop styles that influenced MJ’s singing/dancing (DS, DPMC)
- To be able to make links to other curriculum areas such as Music, Drama, English, Expressive Arts (prompt cross-curricular learning opportunities) (DPMC, E&I)
- Be able to perform and adapt a variety of mini routines based on MJ’s music (Com, Cre, Per, DS)
- To create and perform these using a range of simple/complex movement patterns and techniques (Com, Cre, Per, M&A, DS)
- To develop their understanding of dance terminology such as basic choreography, form, group relationship, spatial awareness and motif development relating to MJ’s music/ dance style (Com, Cre, DPMC)
To contribute towards a small group dance selecting an MJ track and choreography their own dance routine as well as “Class Flash Mob” (Assessment of Learning) (Com, Cre, Per, DS)
Key Concepts (KC):
Competence (Com), Performance (Per), Creativity (Cre), Healthy, active lifestyle (HAL).
Key Processes (KP):
Developing skills in physical activity (DS), Making and applying decisions (M&A), Developing physical and mental capacity (DPMC), Evaluating and improving (E&I), Making informed choices about healthy, active lifestyles (IC).