This SEND in PE resource lists a range of potential SEND additional learning needs from the following categories and identifies adaptive teaching (differentiation) considerations to promote an inclusive environment within PE.
- Cognition and Learning
- Sensory and Physical
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)
- Communication and Interaction
For example Hearing Impairment is one of the considerations listed under sensory and physical and outlines the following considerations for practical and theory PE lessons.
- Check communication needs such as learning some basic signs.
- Make sure they’re in good position to see the demonstration
- Have a buddy system who they are comfortable with and use peers reinforce learning
- Don’t over emphasise your mouth/speech, but change your speed when you talk.
- Eye contact
- Visual aids, key word sheet.
- Print out the presentation to make notes.