In the build-up to the World Para Athletics Championships and IAAF World Championships London 2017, teachers across the UK can get their students involved in the summer’s biggest sporting event with the launch of a free education programme, Starting Blocks.
Designed to inspire, motivate and engage young people, Starting Blocks will provide free, curriculum-linked resources for teachers of pupils aged 5-14. All resources are specially designed to open young people’s eyes to new opportunities and experiences through classroom activities and whole-school ideas.
Three themes will connect students to the summer’s biggest sporting event:
- Summer of World Athletics introduces young people to the events and excitement of the summer and to the sport of athletics in PE and Sport
- The World in One City celebrates the 200 nations who will come together to compete and their unique cultures using maths and numeracy
- Faces of Summer uses English and literacy to showcase the people who will make the summer great including athletes, their support teams, volunteers, sponsors and organisers
All new registrants before Friday May 26th will also stand a chance to win exciting school prizes:
- A visit from 6-time Paralympic champion David Weir CBE and the World Para Athletics Championship mascot Whizbee the Bee
- One of 150 Summer of World Athletics posters
- A signed limited edition ‘The Race Is On’ print
David Weir said:
It should be a fantastic summer of world-class sport at the championships and this offer is a great opportunity for schools to get involved, so make sure you sign up to Starting Blocks for a chance to win.